My congratulations to Senator, now President Elect Obama. Though I disagree with most everything he's ever said, I am pleased, beyond my ability to communicate, that we have elected our first black president. It is truly a great moment.
Am I disappointed by his victory? Yes, most definitely. It's not that John McCain was such a great choice; if you look back through my posts you'll find that, almost invariably, I disagreed with him. It's just that he was a so much a better choice than Senator Obama. A couple of points:
1. If the way Mr. Obama ran his campaign is any indicator, I fear for our freedom of speech. Aided and abetted by the corrupt media, the level of indifference to the truth was unprecedented in my lifetime.
2. After listening to his economic plans I fear for our economy. Everything he has planned will prolong our misery.
3. I am determined that none of the disgraceful disrespect shown by the left for President Bush will enter the discourse on this site. Though obscenity and character assassination seem to be the primary form of argument on many left wing blogs, that will not happen here. Nor, I expect, will it rear it's ugly head in most of the conservative blogosphere.
4. I am also determined to dog his every misstep relentlessly, and fight for conservative principles of government. Something I would have needed to do regardless who won.
5. Mr. Obama will be president to all of us. Lets hope he acts like it.
Bottom line: I look forward to easy pickings for future blog fodder.
Update: this post pinned to the top.